Dr Michael Butterworth
BDS, DGDP(UK), MFDS (RCS Eng), LLM, MCIArb, Dentist & Commercial & Family Mediator
- 1992 LLM (Cardiff) [Master in Law]
- 2004 Accredited as a mediator by the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- 2004 MCIArb [Mediator Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators]
- 2006 Accredited as a mediator by the ADR Group
I am available to undertake all aspects of commercial & civil mediation. I am also able to advise, and negotiate, in most types of dispute and dispute resolution. In the last 10 years I have been involved in over 100 civil and commercial mediations and a number of dispute resolution investigations and initiates running from a few days to many months.
Lead mediator in a number of disputes including, but not restricted to:
- Breach of contract
- Commercial & business, including franchising, finance, & sale & supply of goods
- Public services including local authorities
- Landlord and tenant
- Supply of services
- Transport including railways, airlines and aviation
- Racial harassment
- Wills and Probate
- Banking services
- Property and land ownership
- Building works and services
- Boundary disputes
- Professional disagreement, including partnership disputes
- Professional fees
- Solicitor / Client
- Restaurant ownership
- Ownership of goods and materials
I also undertake non-financial disputes including personal issues, noise, contractual problems, neighborhood disputes; and racial, disability, religious and sex discrimination.
- Member of the Civil Mediation Council
- Chair and director Professional Dental Legal Services Ltd: T/A MbMediation
- Chair and director Mediated Dispute Solutions Ltd
Other ADR experience includes
- The formulation of an ADR scheme for professionals in dispute, which included both a conciliation and a mediation service.
- Establishing a mechanism for complaints handling for a leading UK corporate dental provider.
- Advising on the diversity needs and opportunities in a leading UK NHS Trust.
- Handling over 3000 dental negligence claims and registration body tribunals over the last 25 years around the world.
Other Professional Experience:
Dental Surgeon – BDS, DGDP(UK), MFDS (RCS Eng)
2007- current Part time consultant to MPS [Medical Protection Society] with a special interest in negligence claims including instructing and advising solicitors.
1987-2007 Employed by MPS
The MPS is a membership-based organisation and is the leading provider of professional indemnity and expert advice to doctors, dentists and health professionals around the world, with over 250,000 members in over 40 countries and assets of over £1 Billion.
Originally, I worked as a dento-legal adviser but on the formation of Dental Protection Ltd [DPL] [a wholly owned subsidiary of MPS] in 1989 I became a member of the executive undertaking roles of Assistant Director, Deputy Director and Company Secretary as well-being project manager on a number of projects within DPL and MPS.
These roles demanded involvement in budget planning, recruitment and retention of members, publishing and publicity, investments and accounting, as well as coaching and team management. DPL serves over 52,000 dentists worldwide and I was responsible for its work in Ireland, South Africa, Israel and the Middle East as well as being involved in its work in Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia. I gained a wide experience of senior management in the corporate business world and, in addition, gained in-depth knowledge of communication skills and ADR opportunities in a multicultural worldwide environment.