Mediator Paul Hughes
Head of Insurance Litigation Department, specialising in personal injury and insurance litigation. Also experienced in claims involving police forces and general civil litigation.
Particular expertise in claims involving psychiatric injuries and fatal accidents.
Has dealt with claims for Chronic fatigue Syndrome and industrial disease.
Represented defendant in landmark ‘stress’ case of Walker v Northumberland County Council, and has been involved in numerous stress at work cases subsequently.
Although current caseload mainly for Defendants, also deals with Claimant cases, and has represented Claimants in the past on the instruction of a trade union.
Experience of dealing with claims against police forces to include false imprisonment, malicious prosecution and alleged assault cases.
DATE OF BIRTH:
DATE OF COMPLETION OF MEDIATION TRAINING:
8th October 1997: qualified in San Francisco.
Accredited by ADR Group.
Mediation experience includes over 40 mediations to date. Cases mediated are mainly, but not exclusively, personal injury cases. Examples of mediations include:
- Infant fatality with claim for PTSD by mother. Liability and quantum issues. Mediation lead to settlement after a hidden issue was discovered and dealt with by the parties
- Stress at work case by teacher.
- EL claim involving fatal accident. Major issues on both liability and quantum, involving particularly sensitive issues impacting upon dependency claim.
- Claim for assault, wrongful arrest and malicious prosecution by litigant in person against police force. Claim discontinued at mediation.
- Personal injury claim with significant quantum issues including suspected fraud / surveillance evidence.
- Professional negligence action against solicitor and surveyor.
- Partnership dispute.
- Landlord and tenant dispute.
- Acted for one of the parties in the landmark Court of appeal case of Halsey v Milton Keynes NHS Trust / Steel v Joy.
- 2006: involved in recording Law Society ADR training video for lawyers
- Admitted in 1988
- Solicitor, Marrons 1988
- Solicitor, Crutes 1989
- Partner at Crutes since 1995.
- Member: Law Society
- Forum of Insurance Lawyers (FOIL)
- North East regional representative for FOIL special interest group in ADR since 2000
- Member of Law Society ADR Committee
To appoint this mediator please call 0800 246 1218 or email firstname.lastname@example.org