Barrister, Adjudicator & Commercial Mediator
- Completed over seventy mediations and achieved a settlement rate of 80% including:
- Building & construction disputes
- Family business / partnership dispute
- Commercial contracts disputes – Landlord & Tenant
- Professional negligence claim
- Supplier / customer disputes
- Environmental /contamination disputes
- A variety of Court annexed / time limited mediations
- Advising Bristol County Court in setting up Court annexed mediation scheme 2003
- Advising Bath County Court in setting up Court annexed mediation scheme 2004/5
- Gloucester County Court DCA Mediator Rep for Mediation Awareness Week 2006
- DCA /HMCS appointed mediation rep Bath CC & Court Steering Group Committee Member Dispute resolution / mediation presentations to various local Business groups
- South West Mediation services, equally covers the whole UK
Called to the Bar by Gray’s Inn in November 1982, Paul completed pupillage in leading commercial Chambers in London (1982-1983). After practising at the Manchester Bar, he worked for a well-known firm of construction claims’ consultants in the North-West before settling in Cardiff (1990). In Cardiff he worked for two major regional solicitors’ practices (specialising in construction law, adjudication, arbitration and mediation) before joining 3 Paper Buildings (Bristol annex) (now 3 PB barristers) in September 2006. He has both acted as a mediator and represented parties in excess of 60 mediations. He writes and lectures on mediation and related topics.
- Speaks and writes fluent French as well as having a detailed knowledge of Spanish and German.
Overview Of Experience
- Building and engineering disputes (domestic and commercial)
- Sale of goods (including consumer credit)
- Partnership disputes
- Unfair prejudice to a shareholder
- Professional negligence
- Professional negligence claims
- Boundary disputes
- Paul is a graduate (1980) of Clare College, Cambridge (MA) – Modern and Medieval
- Languages (French & Spanish).
- He completed the Diploma in Law (1981) (City University) and Bar Finals (1982) at the Council of Legal Education (London).
- Called to the Bar by Gray’s Inn, November 1982
- ADR Group accredited mediator 2001
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators 1999
- RIBA and CIC accredited construction industry adjudicator 1997
Gray’s Inn; Bar Council listed mediator; Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Oxford Mediation Group, Talk Mediation and Mediation panel member of Effective Dispute Solutions Limited.